Announcing: A Scholarship Award for Writers!
What is it?
The Kate Dopirak Craft & Community Award will provide full tuition to the Annual SCBWI Summer Conference in Los Angeles, CA, to the author of a promising children’s book manuscript. Every other year the award will alternate between a picture book manuscript and a middle grade/young adult novel manuscript. This year, submissions are open to picture book writers for the 2020 conference.
What is included in this year’s award?
- Full tuition to the 49th Annual SCBWI Summer Conference, July 24-27, 2020, in Los Angeles, CA. (Travel, meals, accommodations, and optional conference add-ons are not included.)
- A 20-minute phone consultation with literary agent Tracey Adams from Adams Literary.
- A 20-minute phone consultation with children’s editor Andrea Welch from Beach Lane Books/Simon & Schuster.
Who can apply?
- Applicants must be current members of SCBWI and must be at least 18 years of age.
- Applicants who show a dedication to honing their craft and expanding their writing community, but who are experiencing a financial barrier to attending the conference, will be considered.
- The manuscript submission must be original and unpublished and must not be under contract at the time of submission.
- Limit one entry per person.
How do I apply?
- For complete award information and submission instructions go to https://katedopirakaward.com.
- The submission window is open now through 8:00 p.m. PST on October 31, 2019.