We need one another
We need support
We need connection
We need community
We are honored to announce the Eastern PA SCBWI LET’S CONNECT MENTORSHIP PROGRAM. This multi-month, one-on-one mentorship program begins formally this April 2021 and ends in September 2021 and has been made possible through the efforts of our volunteers and mentors—celebrated storytellers from our region.
The mentorship program includes
- Choice of full or partial manuscript feedback for novelists, OR feedback for up to two picture books for picture book authors or author/illustrators
- Monthly email or phone check-ins with your mentor (April – September 2021)
- Virtual meetings within our storyteller community to ask questions, share support, and learn together (March, May, July, and September)
- A place to find creative support and build community in the Eastern PA region
- Scholarships available (see below)
Introducing our MENTORS…
- Hilda Eunice Burgos (Offering full or partial novel mentorship, prefers middle grade – Learn more at https://hildaeuniceburgos.com)
- Eric Bell (Offering full novel mentorship, prefers middle grade – Learn more at https://iamericbell.com)
- Lindsay Bandy (Offering full or partial novel mentorship, prefers YA – Learn more at http://lindsaybandybooks.com)
- Linda Oatman High (Offering full novel mentorship – Learn more at http://www.lindaoatmanhigh.com)
- Diana Rodriguez Wallach (Offering partial novel mentorship, prefers YA – Learn more at https://dianarodriguezwallach.com)
- Jennifer Robin Barr (Offering partial novel mentorship, prefers middle grade but will consider YA – Learn more at https://jenniferrobinbarr.com)
- Nicole Valentine (Offering full novel mentorship, prefers middle grade – Learn more at https://www.nicolevalentinebooks.com)
Picture Book Authors
- Kat Yeh (Learn more at http://katyeh.com/DEFAULT.html)
- Sandy Asher (Learn more at https://sandyasher.com)
- Nadine Poper (Learn more at http://nadinepoper.weebly.com)
- Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow (Learn more at https://jamilahthewriter.com)
Picture Book Author/Illustrators
- Kate Garchinsky (Learn more at http://penguinart.com)
- Adrienne Wright (Learn more at http://www.adriennewright.com)
Cost and scholarship support
To value the critique and feedback portion of this opportunity, we will ask $275 for our picture book mentorship and for our partial novel mentorship. We will ask $525 for our full novel mentorship.
The Equity and Inclusion Team of Eastern PA SCBWI is honored to announce three scholarships to be awarded to story creators whose work promotes the mission of the Equity and Inclusion Team. These stories should allow all children to embrace and celebrate their own experiences as well as foster appreciation for the richness of other cultures in our world.
Want to become a mentee?
Here’s how to apply!
Please note that this opportunity is for active members of the Eastern PA SCBWI only. If you are unsure of your membership status, please visit www.scbwi.org.
If you would like to apply for a scholarship, please see step “g” below.
1. Consider the project(s) for which you would like to have mentor support in 2021.
2. Learn more about each mentor and their work to consider who might be the best fit for you and your specific project by visiting their websites.
3. If you think the mentorship program would be right for you, please email Lindsay Bandy at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information (you can cut and paste this list into the body of your email):
a) Your name
b) A brief personal bio
c) Short description(s) of project(s) you would like to use during this program. (If you are a novelist, please describe one project. Picture book authors or author/illustrators can list up to two.)
d) Identify the genre(s) of the projects listed in “c.”
e) Describe briefly which mentor you feel you would be best matched to work with (and if you would be open to working with any other mentors in the group).
f) Attach up to a 1,000-word sample of your writing. (This must be from a work you would like to use during the mentorship.)
g) If you are applying for one of our Equity and Inclusion scholarships, please include a narrative response here as to how your project(s) connect to the mission of the Equity and Inclusion Team (see above). Please also note if you will only be able to participate in the program if you receive the funds from the Equity and Inclusion Team.
Please email the above no later than February 25, 2021.
You will be notified of your status no later than March 3, 2021 if you apply for the Equity and Inclusion funds.
You will be notified of your status no later than March 10, 2021 for general applications.
If you have any questions, please email Lindsay Bandy at email@example.com.
We hope that each year we will grow in mentors and grow in storytellers.